I love reading, Christian, Biographies, Autobiographies, Cookbooks, Fiction, Historical Fiction, History, Memoir, Mystery, Romance, Suspense, Thriller, Parenting, Marriage, Christian Counseling, Health, Natural and Herbal, Childcare and Teaching, Inspirational as well as Alaskan.

I prefer a printed copy that I can hold in my hands and become old friends with, but will also accept E-books in Kindle, PDF or Nook formats.

I am a Christian and seek to glorify my Lord. As such I will not read any erotic, paranormal, vampire, or such books. I also will stop reading any book that has bad language (Cursing and taking my Lord’s name in vain.), and books with gratuitous sex. This is one reason I have chosen to be associated with the Publishing Companies and the Authors that are on my site because I feel safe recommending them to others.

Audrey Grant

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Girl's Still Got It ~ 4 stars

The Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her WorldThe Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World by Liz Curtis Higgs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A very unique book! I have never read one written like this before. It is part story, part lesson plan, devotional...it is very interesting how she takes each PART of every verse and breaks it down. That part was easy for me to follow because that is the way my Dad preaches most of the time, verse by verse, breaking each one down into parts to explain it.
I loved the history, the laughter, the realness of the book.
I did get lost in the usage of so many Bible "translations". Often it felt like it was just more words.
The one problem I had was that Liz kept repeating that the KJV is closest to the original Hebrew but... so why not just use the KJV and if more explanation of a word is needed then use dictionaries and a thesaurus? Instead, some people might finish the book confused on what to read (that is just my opinion on that point). My point is that when you keep using several different versions a person who is insecure or untrained is left not knowing what to read or where to start.
Other than that...I LOVED this book! Once I got past the confusion of bouncing from version to version, this book opened up a whole world of my life that I was so confused about and explained some things I had misunderstood about myself, my past and what God could do for and with me for years!!
This is not a Novel, but it is a good book! I recommend it!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment