I love reading, Christian, Biographies, Autobiographies, Cookbooks, Fiction, Historical Fiction, History, Memoir, Mystery, Romance, Suspense, Thriller, Parenting, Marriage, Christian Counseling, Health, Natural and Herbal, Childcare and Teaching, Inspirational as well as Alaskan.

I prefer a printed copy that I can hold in my hands and become old friends with, but will also accept E-books in Kindle, PDF or Nook formats.

I am a Christian and seek to glorify my Lord. As such I will not read any erotic, paranormal, vampire, or such books. I also will stop reading any book that has bad language (Cursing and taking my Lord’s name in vain.), and books with gratuitous sex. This is one reason I have chosen to be associated with the Publishing Companies and the Authors that are on my site because I feel safe recommending them to others.

Audrey Grant

Friday, August 10, 2012

Hunger Season ~ 4 Stars

The Last Hunger Season: A Year in an African Farm Community on the Brink of ChangeThe Last Hunger Season: A Year in an African Farm Community on the Brink of Change by Roger Thurow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is very hard for me to read. Not because it is in any way bad. But the sheer guilt I feel to know how VERY blessed I am by God every single day as an American!
I so often get wrapped up in MY problems, MY pain, MY health, MY bills, MY,MY,MY...that I forget that though the car breaks down, we still have one! Though my husband doesn't have a wonderful or full time job... He has one!! Though we don't eat out or fancy we DO HAVE food!! And though I'm bed ridden and can't work right now, my family takes great care of me, and my children (even the one with dyslexia) are all getting prime educations!
I still have a good portion of the book to read but the impact, thankfulness & guilt made me pause, talk to my husband, thank God for His blessings and soak it all in for a bit...,

Ok, I'm back! I finished it last night. What an uplifting book of hard work, giving, sacrifice, and love for the people of Kenya!! What a dismal failure for Obama's administration! Once again, promises unfulfilled. Are any of us surprised?
But for the Men and Women who worked tirelessly and gave of themselves, even when sick...even to the point of almost starving & dying. That is Heroism in it's ultimate form!!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. HI,found your blog over on book blogs and hopped by to follow you via GFC. I look forward to reading your reviews. Have a wonderful weekend. kittycrochettwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, find you on book blogs and loved the review. Would love if you would follow my blog as well.
    http://lynelleclarkaspiredwriter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete